November 5, 2010

Magnet Mania!


I have been having oh so much fun making magnets lately! 
Figures that I have a Stainless Steel fridge:(

Magnet projects are quick and easy, and they make great little gifts. My current favorite is this bottle cap magnet. I used a Maya Road bottle cap, filled it with Imaginisce paper, Prima flowers, various brads and some Making Memories trim. Isn't it cute!

I also made some darling pumpkin glass magnets with my daughters.

This is so TOTALLY simple to do that you can use it for a party craft at school! 

Here's how!

Supplies:
Cardstock
One inch circle punch
Large flat glass marbles (found in craft or floral supplies)
Orange ink, non-toxic
Green marker
Elmer's school glue
Small magnets

Precut one inch circles from cardstock. Then have each child make an orange thumbprint on a circle. 

Once the thumbprint print is dry, about ten seconds, have the child draw on a stem and vines.
Then the child can smear the front of the circle with Elmer's glue and stick it to the flattened side of a glass marble. Elmer's will dry nice and clear;) Use that same {cheap} Elmer's glue to adhere a magnet to the back! Voila, a cute Autumn gift for mom! I wrote a little date on the back of my girls' magnets...so that might be nice too.

And here is the little Fall display on my fridge:

**************************
I used this same idea to make a recipe card holder with my grandma's cheese grater: This is the tutorial I ran a couple weeks back on the Cookbookin' blog:


While having coffee at a very trendy local coffee place called "The Good Cup," I saw THE cutest display of handmade magnets stuck on an old cheese grater. Of course, I jotted down a quick sketch to take home with me and here is what I came up with:

PERFECT for holding recipes in the kitchen and the grater belonged to my grandmother!!! Oh, I just love how this project turned out and making the magnets is a snap.

Supplies:
Glass beads/flat marbles
Patterned paper
Circle punch
Magnets
Mod Podge (or whatever glue you have) & hot glue
That's it!

I began my project by punching out several circles from an assortment of Cookbookin' papers. I used a punch size just a tiny bit smaller than my glass pieces.
Then I adhered the paper to the glass with Mod Podge. Fun and simple to paint on with a brush! You do want to rub all the air bubbles out with your fingers so your finished magnet looks nice and clear.




Next, I used hot glue to adhere the magnets. Hot glue has the hold and the speed to get the job done quickly.
There! That's it!!! Simple isn't it!?
There are TONS of tutorials and examples of other glass decoupage magnets on the internet. Some of my favorites are:HowToDoThings
Just in this last week I have found another GREAT tutorial on applying this idea to necklaces! Check out Scrapbook&CardsToday!

You can also find them for sale at my trendy little local coffee shop or by a variety of artists on 
Etsy!

But of course, I prefer to make my own;)
I'm using my magnets to display my grandmother's recipe cards on her antique grater. I just love seeing her handwriting AND knowing that the grater belonged to and was used by her. Loving her handwriting makes me realize I need to preserve my own, as much as I HATE it.


***************************
And finally, in case you don't have ENOUGH ideas already. I have been using those magnetic business cards to make cute little scrappy magnets. These are super simple, basically just glue your photo onto an old magnetic business card but if you'd like a tutorial click here.
This magnet uses Cookbookin' papers and teeny tiny little buttons for JoAnn's.
And this magnet is simply framed with some Martha Stewart tinsel ribbon. 

And with this project {and my December Daily album that is in progress ~all my pages are covered with the adorable line Cottage Christmas by Imaginisce and I even have some of the pages completely decorated} I have officially started my HOLIDAY SCRAPPING projects!


Happy Scrapping,

4 comments:

Suzanne on November 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM said...

Oh man! ALL great ideas! I really LOVE the little thumbprint pumpkins, so cute! TFS!

Little Scraps of Heaven Designs on November 5, 2010 at 1:44 PM said...

these are really cute.

mustangkayla on November 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM said...

What fun and cute magnets! I'm having a hard time finding the bigger rocks. :-( LOVE the cheese grater idea. How cute and fun is that?

Betty Anne on November 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM said...

I've never thought of making magnets but I may just have to give them a try. I loved the look of your Grandma's cheese grater and recipe card with the magnets what a great way to display it. I really like your idea of putting a pic overtop of the business magnets. I have a lot of those magnets on my fridge and they would look so much better with a family pic rather then their advertizement. Thanks so much for sharing the idea and the tutorial.

Related Posts with Thumbnails