February 2, 2010

Tuesday's Tips & Techniques: Twisted Fabric Flower


Have you seen all those adorable twisted fabric flowers out there? You know, the ones with the BIG price tag? Well, here is how to make them for a few cents a piece. It's so easy even a nine year old can do it! 
Step One -Collect your supplies:
Scrap of fabric
Circle punch
Scrap of cardstock
STRONG adhesive (a glue gun would be good here too)

 
And to embellish it I used: 
Self-Adhesive pearls 

First, put lots of adhesive on a small cardstock circle. I used an inch diameter circle for mine.

  
I do mean LOTS, cover that entire surface!

  
Next hold out your strip of fabric. My assistant {read: nine year old} has a piece of pink tulle. Goes well with her dancer personality;)

  
Stick one end to the middle of your circle and begin twisting your fabric strip and stick it down to your circle as you go around...does that even make any sense? Here is a picture:
  
Just keep twisting, turning and sticking until you fill up your circle.

  
Trim any excess and embellish!

  
I put my flower on a Valentine card that I made just last night.
 

As you can imagine, the embellishing possibilities are endless! Think: vintage jewelry, buttons, rhinestones... 

And just in case you need a few more pictures...my lovely assistant made one more flower from a scrap of muslin. I love the muslin flowers, they go great on distressed layouts and are so much fun to alter. But that's for another Tuesday.
  
Hold and begin twisting the fabric
  
Stick end of strip to center of circle that is COVERED in glue
  
Keep going around, twisting and sticking
  
Trim any excess fabric
  
Embellish as desired.



30 comments:

Suzanne on February 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM said...

OMG, Kristie! That is so COOL! TFS! :-)

Tara on February 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM said...

Love it Kristie, far easier than how I did it!!

Siri Fjørtoft, kaBoks on February 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! I love your tut!!

Siri

Karen on February 3, 2010 at 10:10 AM said...

I can't believe how easy that is! tfs!!

suzann on February 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM said...

Great Tutorial! Your flowers turned out great! Thanks for sharing!

Sally Cranney on February 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM said...

What a fantastic tutorial Kristie! I may have to challenge myself to make and use one of those on my next card or layout. Thanks for sharing!

Beeceecreativity on February 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM said...

Kristie.. great tutorial and fabulous flowers...TFS

Kristina on February 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM said...

Wow those look fabulous and so easy! I can't wait to give it a try. I think I may even have some tulle layong around some where;)
Thanks for a great tutorial.
Kristina

Bamabel on February 4, 2010 at 2:04 PM said...

Now is that not adorable!!!!! I love it! Great tutorial gf!

Aymee

LaBonita on February 4, 2010 at 5:33 PM said...

Love these, Kristie! TFS

Pearl on February 4, 2010 at 10:23 PM said...

Cool techniques ! TFS ! love the little assistant's helping in your tuts ! too cute !

LISA on February 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM said...

Kristie,these are just fabulous!! Thank You so much for sharing!!! Your assistant did a great job!!!!

Gabrielle Pollacco on February 5, 2010 at 2:20 AM said...

Awesome tutorial Kristie, great pics and very easy to understand!!.... I tend to work mainly with the kits I get so I don't often use fabric, but if I get some decent ribbon, I'll give these a go soon!

~Gabi xx

Unknown on February 6, 2010 at 12:01 AM said...

These flowers look great. Thanks for sharing the great step by step photos!

T.A.M. on February 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM said...

Wow! Awesome tutorial! These flowers look so difficult who new!!!! tfs. Can't wait to see more!!!!

Heather on February 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM said...

Thanks for this great tutorial! Your assistant has done a fab job of explaining! :)

Lili Sulastri on February 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM said...

Great tutorial. Thx for sharing. Enjoyed doing the flower.

nfaband on February 11, 2010 at 4:24 PM said...

Wow ... I am so inspired to give this a try now ... your flowers are gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial.

Kimberly on February 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM said...

LOVE those...I have been playing around with doing this and LOVE what you shared! xo
Loves,
K

nailgirl on February 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM said...

OMG! this is awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to share this. i too love the new prima flowers but am not paying that price! your tutorial is great and i am going to make some of these tonight! will post pics as i get them done, thanks, kim

Jenn on February 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM said...

very cool. I jsut made some of these for a lyout I posted today on my blog with some of the adhesive backed fabric.

Emily Pitts on February 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM said...

thanks so much for sharing this!

TanishaRenee on February 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM said...

very cool! TFS!

Joanna on February 18, 2010 at 8:59 PM said...

great idea! tfs!

CalleLillyCafe on February 20, 2010 at 11:46 PM said...

Super cute & easy! Yes & better than spending $ in store! Now we can spend on fabric!

The Scrapbook Speedway on March 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM said...

how CUTE! and easy!

buggin2stamp on April 18, 2010 at 8:44 AM said...

I've been wondering how to make these. I found your blog through Nina's blog. This is so easy. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I have a ton of fabric scraps that my grandma had leftover from quilting. I can't wait to try this.

Sherry Eckblad on April 20, 2010 at 7:19 AM said...

fabulous tutorial and I can't wait to try it for myself. Could I borrow your assistant?

jaemom on May 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM said...

I found this as someone else posted the link. Thanks for a great tutorial! These are indeed beautiful. Must try it out!

Sarah Lou on June 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM said...

Thank you these are the sweetest!

Related Posts with Thumbnails