February 16, 2010

Tuesday's Tips & Techniques: Twisted Fabric Flowers {Part 2}


 

Today I am going to show you a couple things. First, I will show you how to use printed fabrics to make the twisted fabric flowers and then I will show you LOTS of ideas for embellishing them!


I was making a bunch this time so I used my glue gun instead of my daughter and I set up in the kitchen with my craft mat. I also used a variety of backing materials from felt to punch packaging and even some scraps of cardstock. {Yay for scraps!}
  
The technique is much the same. I did tie a knot at the end of my fabric this time. This is easier when you are working with hot glue but it does make for a hard center, which in turn makes it somewhat more difficult to attach embellishments to the center of the finished flower. ~Tradeoffs~ 
Of course, I guess you could just leave a flower with a naked knotted center!

  
Begin by placing a spot of hot glue in the center of your circle, then press on the knotted end of your fabric.
  
When working with printed fabric I simply pull the fabric out toward me and then roll the edges under. {I didn't iron it because I wanted the fluffy rounded edges in my finished flower as opposed to iron creases.} Then I just twist the fabric and start going round and round with both the fabric and the hot glue.
  
This is the same wrap, turn and stick technique that we used before. Just keep rolling the fabric before twisting so that the pretty side shows. 


I like to vary how tightly I twist the fabric. This actually can make a HUGE difference in how the finished flower turns out. This one shows a much looser twist. 
{I see I need to trim my backing on this one...}

Okay, on to EMBELLISHING! 
These flowers are so much fun to embellish! I use lots and lots of different items for the centers. Here is a vintage piece of jewelry. This clip-on earring belonged to my grandmother. Isn't it beautiful!!!
 This is a charm that I picked up at a craft store. Looks vintage but was less than $1.00!
Buttons look great, especially on the muslin flowers.
  
Here I used a glittery chipboard letter tied with a piece of floss.
  
~This is a monogrammed brad~ 
  
Here is one with a little more whimsy -a gingham bow with an epoxy covered faux-button. 
  
I also wanted to try some seed beads in the centers of my flowers. I found that a medium glue dot worked well since I could manipulate my beads after placing them on the flower.
  
Look close, you may have to click on this picture but there is a glue dot in the center of that flower.
  
  
I love the way these bead centers came out. They look so much better IRL!

 You knew this stuff was coming!
Glimmer Mist!!!
Enough said. 
  
I tried to match her dress...didn't quite make it but close enough!!!

  
This flower is so tiny and the seed beads are so tiny...tweezers are very handy!!! 
  
And finally, Stickles. And more seed beads.
  
It almost looks like a tiny piece of jewelry. 




Well, there you have it. I hope this inspires many of you to try making {and embellishing} these fun little flowers. I have so enjoyed all your comments on my first TFF tutorial and would LOVE to see what you come up with. Leave me a link if you'd like to share.


15 comments:

Aud R. on February 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM said...

These flowers are so pretty! Love them! Thanks for sharing!!

Angela W on February 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM said...

These are great! Thanks so much! I can't wait to get some fabric and make some!

mustangkayla on February 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM said...

Those are pretty! Thanks for the great tutorial! Sure, post it after I sent all my fabric to my mom! lol...Maybe she'll be kind enough to let me take some of it back! ;)

Diana Fisher on February 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM said...

I am all over this, girl!! I love these, thanks so much for the hints!!

Karen on February 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM said...

Just FABULOUS!

Cindy Groh on February 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM said...

Fabulous show!!

Unknown on February 17, 2010 at 6:58 AM said...

Just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing this!

ana on February 17, 2010 at 2:17 PM said...

fabulous i see you have some too they are so much fun to add to your layouts ;)

Tara on February 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM said...

Kristie you have surpassed yourself with this one, I thought the last one was amazing. Who needs to spend silly money on twisted flowers now - no one!! Can't wait for your next tutorial, you know I am loving them. Tara xxxx

Pat on February 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM said...

Tfs your fabulous work!!

Tanya on February 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM said...

Great tutorial!!! These flowers are adorable!!!

Leah on February 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM said...

beautiful!

Meg Giroux on February 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM said...

Kristie, these are gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing this with us all!

Unknown on April 18, 2010 at 11:31 PM said...

I really love the embellishments you used on these flowers! The earring is such a cool idea. I also love the mini beads. Thanks for the great ideas!

Stacy H-W on May 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM said...

Love the great tutorials! Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails