September 16, 2010

Altered Recipe Clothespin Tutorial, again!


I LOVE to alter things! I really get a kick out of taking something good from the craft store and turning it into something GREAT! Here, I took a plain wooden clothespin and turned it into a fantastic recipe card holder that I use in my kitchen all the time! For those of you that read the Cookbookin' Blog, this tutorial should look very familiar;)

I began altering my clothespin by spritzing it with some brown Maya Mist. I have also made them using paints and other stains but this is the quickest and the messiest;)


Next up I found some paper that I wanted to cover it with. For this clothespin I chose Cookbookin's Preserving Memories line.

I cut out the cute little truck to use later on a card and then I grabbed my pencil and made myself a little cutting line.

Once I had cut out my papers  I used my distressing tool to rough up the edges a bit. I love the distressed look and it goes just perfectly with the Preserving Memories papers.

Once the edges were nice and rough I used a little ink on them. Then I was ready to adhere the paper with some Mod Podge, another fun and messy craft staple at my house!
 On this project I decided to paper over the entire side of the clothespin, sometimes I use two papers so the metal spring shows but since I knew I was going to cover that up with embellishments I took the easy road;) And THEN I decided to use a different paper on each side. Of course I decided that AFTER I had glued BOTH sides down. I just consider that part of my creative process. I am always doing and undoing and doing again. ;)

So now I am using some of Cookbookin's Cookin' Up Memories collection. This is one of my FAVORITE papers, Farmhouse Kitchen. I just adore all the little roosters!!! I'm ready to embellish...

To begin this side I tied a bow with my favorite red gingham ribbon and grabbed an old "inked for another project but didn't make the cut" Prima flower. Now, for attaching anything fabric, I like to use Felt Glue:

 It just seems to hold the best.

Cute already but not even close to being finished!I wanted to use some of these cute little kitchen chips from Maya Road. I decided to cover them with coordinating papers but since I was going to glue them a bit off center I inked the backs a bit so they would look good from both sides.

I glued the chipboard to some patterned paper, here I chose Sweet Summertime, Sunflower Fields paper. OH!!! By the way, Scrapbook.com has LOTS of Cookbookin' goodies in stock and ready to ship!!!

After the glue dried I carefully cut the excess paper off with a craft knife.

Yes, things were getting pretty messy on my craft desk...
But look how it turned out!

To finish this side I added a few Maya Road Leaf pins, some tiny red ric rack and some itsy bitsy letter stickers. Now on to the OTHER side~

I decided to use different papers on each side so I could flip the clothespin around and have a bit of a different look. For this side I simply gathered some of the same ribbon {since the bow from the other side shows} and then I used one of my favorite dimensional stickers from Cookbookin's Preserving Memories line.

There, all done!


Here is another example that I made using red paint on the clothespin:


 Happy Scrapping,

6 comments:

mustangkayla on September 16, 2010 at 10:03 AM said...

Oh, your so darn smart! Spritzing would be way easier than painting! Thanks for the great idea!

Mireille on September 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM said...

I love the way this turned out!! Great tutorial too!

Frk. Toft on September 21, 2010 at 3:45 AM said...

Wow that's so amazing! I was wondering how big is the clothespin? Because it looks big where it's standing up! Because I would like to se if I can find some here in Denmark. Also the paper where it says Recipe for and Serves. Where have you gotten that from. I have been searching for many years for paper like that for my recipe collection (I'm a chef and need some to get more organized)

Best regards

Mie

Cori Kozak on September 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM said...

So cute Kristie! Love your tutorial! :)

Tara on September 29, 2010 at 6:10 AM said...

Super cute Kristie, just love it.

Suzanne on October 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM said...

Cute clip and great tip on misting! Duh! I've always painted. LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails