December 15, 2009

Tuesday's Tips & Techniques: Embellished Star



 Would you believe this star began life as a Christmas Tree topper? I picked it up at Joann's, with my coupon.  It is heavy, waaaay too heavy for any tree that fits in my house so I redesigned it into a lovely kitchen decoration. I used a variety of Cookbookin' papers and embellies and just in case you'd like one too, here is how I did it!

Those of you who know me, know I really have an aversion to measuring. Do I even own a ruler? Well, I do but it's lost somewhere in the junk drawer. {No, not really.} If you are one of those amazing measuring people. Simply measure each side of your star's arm areas -the places you want to cover with paper. I looked for my ruler, just for you measurers but I couldn't find it -looks like it really IS lost.
This was one of those "having 5 kids is really convenient" times, I just went to one of their bedrooms and snagged a ruler from one of them! My star's arms measure: 5x2-1/4x3-1/2inches. Cut your papers just inside those measurements or make yourself a template to use for cutting the papers.

OR
MAKE A ~no measure ~ TEMPLATE like me!


Push one flimsy piece of scrap paper over the area you want to make a template for. Technical, I know!


Ah, see, there is the lovely impression.


 Cut out the template of the template;)



And check real quick just to be sure it fits right, trim until it does.

 
Then cut out a real template from scrap chipboard, cardboard, whatever you have around that is a little sturdier than cardstock.


There it is, THE TEMPLATE. {Keep this around in case you get another of the same kind of star...I embellished one of these exact same stars a few weeks ago but somehow lost my template}



Now, choose some papers and cut away. I used some of my favorite Cookbookin' papers: Cookin' up Memories and Preserving Memories, for mine. They just go perfectly in my kitchen!


I like to stick my papers right onto my star with vellum adhesive (or any low tack adhesive) so I can really see how they look. Some of these papers ended up on the cutting room floor...



I stood it up to take a look and make sure I liked how I had it. I like to use a 4-3-3 paper technique on these stars. 4 of one paper, 3 of another paper and 3 of a third paper. I played with several papers for this one and kept dragging the entire project to my kitchen to see how it was going to look...Finally, I made my paper decisions.

 I always ink my edges on a project like this so one by one, I pulled the papers off, inked them and then replaced them so I wouldn't forget the order that I liked them in!

Finally, ready to permanently adhere the papers to my star. I use Mod Podge, but only on the back of the papers. Just personal preference. I'll probably be sorry when I splatter the star with pasta sauce one day.


I hung a nice little metal rimmed tag, also from Cookbookin', around the star. Gives it a nice feel, don't you think?

And now it happily resides on my kitchen countertop alongside some of my other Cookbookin' creations.


1 comments:

Crystal on December 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM said...

oh this is just so awesome! i absolutely love it! you should definitely submit it over at modge podge rocks! they are always highlighting awesome crafts using the modge! yours is definitely in that awesome category! hugs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails