May 2, 2010

The Franklin Flood


We are living through the biggest flood in Franklin's history. I have lost count as to how much rain has actually fallen here in the last two days, it was at 15 inches this morning and it rained all day long again. I did hear the news say that the rain gauge at Franklin had broken so maybe that is why I don't know. We spent much of yesterday sheltering from thunderstorms and tornado warnings. I hate the sound of the sirens and they just kept going off, over and over and over. No tornado damage here, just flooding. Not our house, we are blessed to live on the top of a hill...but the water coming off our roof...unbelievable.

This is the view our our front door this morning. Yes, this was daylight today.

My parents live one the other side of our neighborhood. They do not live on a hill. This is out their back door yesterday afternoon.

And out their back door this morning.

And out their front door this morning! There should be a street, a big white fence and a nice green field in this picture.


This is the view my dad has out his bedroom window.



Remember this cute picture of my kids after the Easter Egg Hunt just a couple weeks ago?

Here is that area now. They were standing right in front of the trees that are beyond that Stop sign. Oh, and there is a street under all that water.



This is a bridge over the Harpeth River. The river is normally about 30 FEET below the bridge.

This is the nice fire truck that went to my parents house a few hours ago asking to evacuate them.
They declined!!! Uugghh. Parents! What am I gonna DO with them!!!???!!!
My parents house is at the back of the neighborhood at the back of this photo. So, they are pretty doggone surrounded by water and IT IS STILL RISING!
******************
So, needless to say, National Scrapbook Day passed right by without me so much as looking at a pair of scissors or a roll of adhesive. I do, however, have lots of pictures from the "event."
And I must say, I am very happy to be on top of the hill tonight.
  

8 comments:

Dara Lynn on May 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM said...

We have family that lives in Lakewood and have not been able to reach them at all, my husband father, his wife, and his brother and wife and 5 children. Has the news indicated around that area the same flooding?? They are so close to the lake. I am praying for all of you there. Coming from Oklahoma, we understand the constant watch of weather when tornados and flooding occur. Please keep me posted

Suzanne on May 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM said...

Kristie! OMG, those pics are incredible! I've been so worried and I can't believe your parents declined the offer to leave! YIKES! Stay safe!

Hannie C on May 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM said...

Oh Kristie.. hope your parents are fine and they still can enjoy in that weather. ;)

KarenB on May 3, 2010 at 4:48 AM said...

Oh my goodness, that's an awful lot of water! We get flooding here in the rainy season and thankfully we live on a hill too... but the roads and bridges always get flooded out. Hope your parents are still okay.

Debbie Sherman on May 3, 2010 at 8:08 AM said...

Stay safe Kristie! Floods are so scary...we've only had one but that was enough!

mustangkayla on May 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM said...

Yikes Kristie! How scary! I hope the end is in site!

Tami on May 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM said...

Gosh Kristie I didnt know we were so close. I am right below you in Fayetteville. I am so glad you and your family are okay. We are too just gotta worry about your water coming down on us-LOL! Stay safe!

on May 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM said...

Hey Kristie

Hope everything is okay with you and your family. I live in West TN in the Memphis area and we were fortunate here. Folks weren't so lucky in the Millington either which is north of Memphis. They are still dealing with the flooding and now snakes!!!!


Marilyn C.


mmc123mac at yahoo dot com

Related Posts with Thumbnails