May 11, 2010

Tuesday's Tips & Techniques: Felt Cozies


Isn't this just too sweet!?! It is a little cozy I made for my kids' GoGurts that they take in their lunches to school. I made them very early one morning after seeing a post from Karen over at Creative Cookbooking. She was making hers for ice pops, a great idea that I will get to later. Hey, speaking of Creative Cookbooking, we are moving! Ning has started charging so we are moving to this new location on Webs. Hope to see you there!

If you are looking for the Let's Scrap BLOG HOP, go here

So, these little cozies are so quick and easy to make that I whipped up a quick tutorial to share with you.  I  used my actual Gogurt tube to come up with my own measurements for cutting the two felt pieces. I cut my felt about one inch wider than my Gogurt (on each side). I cut the felt about 2 inches shorter than my Gogurt. No, I did NOT use a ruler. You know how I feel about RULERS!

Then I used my machine to stitch the two pieces together:
I did some backstitching for strength around the top opening of the cozy -on both sides. 
After sewing the cozy I used pinking shears to trim the edges. It was kinda hard to trim through two layers of felt so I tried trimming the layers separately before sewing. Nope, that wasn't much easier, if any. Perhaps I am just pinking shear challenged...
For the girls' cozies, I die cut some flowers and leaves from some of the leftover felt.
Since I didn't think of it before I had sewed all the cozies together I just used some felt glue to adhere them.


I used some Sitckles to add a little sparkle to the centers of the flowers and DONE!

And here is the best part:
I gave the green and yellow (Go Ducks!) cozy to my 13yo son. I explained what it was for and fully expected him to politely bow out from taking it in his lunch to MIDDLE school. Instead, he seemed genuinely excited about it and appreciative. AND he put it right into his lunchbox. So far, the teenage years are FANTASTIC!

Happy Scrapping,

3 comments:

elizabeth kartchner on May 11, 2010 at 3:49 PM said...

LOVE it!

Joan on May 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM said...

These are too cute!!

Betty Anne on May 14, 2010 at 11:30 PM said...

What a cute idea and so easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails