May 18, 2010

Tuesday's Tips & Techniques: Pinwheels, Part 2!



This is a pinwheel bouquet that I whipped up for my daughters this morning. Pinwheels are so easy to create and make such an impact! For this bouquet I used lots of My Little Shoebox papers, perfect for the girls!
Then again, maybe with some coffee beans instead of buttons this would work in MY KITCHEN!



~OH! If you are looking for the Let's Scrap Blog Hop click here~

Moving right along...
I have ALWAYS loved making pinwheels for my layouts. It was one of the first "advanced" techniques that I mastered. Recently I have receive a few questions on how I make them so I thought I'd post my first "re-run" tutorial. This was one of my very first tutorials and I had so much fun with it. I enlisted my non-scrappy friend Shannon to follow the tutorial...I wanted to make sure it was clear enough. She did great and made a wonderful pinwheel of her own. Not too sure what she did with it though...
So here is the tutorial again:
 
Pinwheels are so much fun and they are super easy to make. This pinwheel is on the " Soup" layout from my last post:


Begin with a perfect square of DOUBLE sided patterned paper. BOTH sides will show so make sure it looks good on both sides. 
I like to use a punch when I am making smaller pinwheels:


Next you can use a ruler and pencil to mark your cut lines. (I used a marker here so it would show up but I NEVER do this when I am making pinwheels for a layout)

I mark my lines just short of the center coming straight in from each corner:



 Then just cut along your lines. Truth be told, I don't actually mark the lines. I just eyeball it and cut.


Almost time to start folding in your flaps. Choose which way looks best to you (which side you want to fold your flaps toward) and then get out your adhesive dots.


 Place a nice sized glue dot right in the center of your square. I use medium Zots. Then fold in your first flap sticking just the tip of the flap onto the adhesive.


 Keep folding in the flaps, adding adhesive if needed.


 Depending on the weight of my paper, sometimes my flaps need extra help to stay put. I use a stapler for these occasions but that is not pictured here. Glue dots usually do the job just fine.

 

Once all my flaps are secured. I usually embellish with a button but you can use flowers, a tiny paper circle, gems, whatever you like.

 

And here is the layout that I used this little cutie on:
 And here is the double page spread that was published in Scrapbooking.com magazine!

Happy Scrapping!

5 comments:

mustangkayla on May 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM said...

Love the decor for your daughters room! The altered jar with buttons at the bottom and the pinwheels are super cute! Great tutorial and fantastic layout!

Suzanne on May 18, 2010 at 2:14 PM said...

I love making those pinwheels but I've never thought to make an arrangement using them. CUTE! :-)

Kathy on May 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM said...

FAB-YOU-LOUS, girl! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing the instructions with us!

Cori Kozak on May 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM said...

Thanks for the pinwheel tutorial! It looks so easy - I'll have to try it! Have a great weekend!

Unknown on June 30, 2010 at 10:30 PM said...

Thank you so much for the instructions on how to make Pinwheels... I have never made them before and am so excited to give it a try -Have a FANTASTIC rest of your night!

Related Posts with Thumbnails