June 3, 2010

Camping 101


Jason is from Oregon. He misses camping. I am from Southern California. I miss the beach. We had planned on leaving for a beach trip in the Gulf this week but the oil spill...well, we are going to the mountains instead! Lucky for us, we have had some camping practice lately! On Mother's Day weekend, the kids and Jason built us a picnic table from a kit that we got at Lowe's. Super easy and it looks AWESOME!
Next, they built a "fire pit." Now, we are within city limits and thus cannot have any open fires so a little Hibachi resides in the center of our fire pit;).
Then, I took my son to buy his first POCKET KNIFE. Yes, those family members and friends who have dropped to the floor read that right. I let "a weapon" enter my house. He loves it and Jason has taught him proper safety ---and I keep it locked up when not in use.
The first thing he did with his knife was to make roasting sticks for our campfire.
We put the sticks to good use right away. Hot dogs and s'mores. 
I just love the way baby bear sticks his bum out so he doesn't catch on fire. He is really good at roasting marshmallows. He does it in about 10 seconds.
So fast he can take them off his stick all by himself
And put them right where they belong!
Jason takes a bit more time
And knows how to properly embellish a roasted marshmallow
Mmmmmmm
Stay tuned, part two involves a tent!


4 comments:

Betty Anne on June 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM said...

Great pictures Kristie. I think I see a layout coming with them on it.

Tara on June 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM said...

Great SMORES training Kristie, just love it!!

mustangkayla on June 4, 2010 at 10:59 AM said...

Aaww....great pics! Looks like they loved it!

Amie on June 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM said...

Love the photos!! Hopefully we will see them on a new project very soon!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails